Sunday, July 4, 2010

Finally Finished


I have finally finished a project that I started somewhere around 1989 or 1990! I had designed some knife blades to be cut from a retired circular saw blade while I was in junior high. I somehow talked my metal shop teacher into letting me work on them before or after school if I didn't tell other students that I was making knives in school. Well.... I put most of the blades aside until recently, when I had my father look for them in their storage shed in Wyoming and bring them out to me in Milwaukee. I liked only a couple of the original designs and decided to clean up one of the rough blades and turned it into a camping / bushcraft knife.

The knife is ground with an edge that is about as flat as I could get, which still ends up being somewhat convex. The handle is polyurethane finished walnut that is attached with epoxy and hollow brass tubing for pins.

I have a new 'bushcraft' sheath from JRE that this knife will be carried in along with a firesteel for fire starting. I actually purchased this set-up from Ben's Backwoods a Michigan bussiness that sells camping and bushcraft supplies.

No comments: