Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Birch Bark Handled Puukko

A while back I posted pictures of this knife without a sheath. This post is a follow up to show the Scandinavian style sheath I made for it. This knife was made as a gift for my mom.

The sheath was made from a belly cut of cowhide that I had purchased to make some other sheaths this summer and I decided to use it for this sheath as well. The plans for this style of sheath were based on the tutorial I found on British Blades forum called "Scandi Sheaths My Way" by Gerd Jorgensen. The author has this tutorial on his website here.  Gerd also has a pouch style sheath tutorial on the same page which is also great.

The knife handle was lightly coated with mineral oil and the sheath was coated with neatsfoot oil after it was completely finished drying.





No comments: