Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Stihl 015 Chainsaw

Stihl 015

My childhood dreams of owning my own chainsaw are finally realized! On a walk in my neighborhood this last Sunday I found this at a rummage sale. I have cleaned and inspected it throughout and it doesn't outwardly seem to need any parts so far. Over the past few days, researching online, I have found that this saw is popular as an arborist saw due to its compact, top-handle design. I did a little research about chains and bars as well and found that I could true the bar on my bench top disk sander, as one side had uneven wear. When I put the saw back together, I flipped the bar and retensioned the chain and there is very little side-to-side play in the chain. I need to pick up some bar oil and also some oil to mix the gasoline. I cannot wait to start it up and find a use for this little classic saw.

Below are a few pictures of the saw disassembled during the cleaning.


Right, rear view showing engine and clutch

Freshly cleaned starter side case and chain



Here is all the crud that I cleaned out from the groove in the bar! Lots for a little space.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Brian. I just picked up a similar saw. (017). How did you remove the recoil side cover of the saw? I removed three flat head screws, but I still can't pull it off. Any advice?